Last minute projects are nothing new in my world. However, I’m pleased as punch to have made this with enough time to spare that I can give you a tutorial- and if you’re a last-minute doer like myself, you’ll find you can make this up in no time at all. This little Pocket Full of Love Pillow project will sure to please, especially if filled with your loved one’s favorite goodies.
Download the heart template HERE. Please note, this is to printed on tabloid 11×17 paper.
1. Cut pieces as shown below. I used the same fabric (Moss | Crimson) of the front accent, pocket and back. You can use any combination of fabrics and hopefully you can find a little treasure of a print to put in the center square. I used Leaves | Crimson as horizontal accent and a tree from Grove | Straw for the highlight.
2. Assemble the horizontal strip. Press seams away from the center square.
3. Assemble the other strips of fabric as shown.
4. Fold the pocket fabric in half and press. The folded edge should be on top.
5. With the front panel face up, lay pocket so it sits at the bottom edge of the vertical stripe. Last, lay the backing fabric face down.
6. Position the heart template – be sure to keep the horizontal stripe perpendicular and within the widest part of the heart. Pin well- especially around the pocket- and cut through all thicknesses.
7. Remove pattern piece and re-pin. Sew all around heart leaving about 2″ opening in the straight area at the bottom edge for stuffing. Pivot cleanly at the “v” at the top of the heart. Snip the tip of the bottom of the heart. Also snip the “v” but be very careful not to snip too close to the stitching as it may pull apart. Reinforcing this area with another pass of the sewing machine would be helpful.
8. Turn inside out, press open seams, making a nice smooth curve along the top and top sides of the heart. Stuff with your fiber fill of choice and hand sew close. *Don’t over-stuff as is may contort your pillow- also making it hard to slip things in the pocket.
9. Add your love notes, some sweets, a card and rest on the bed waiting for your true love to happen upon it.
Happy Valentines Day!